Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Katie

So, Katie wasn't sounding much better today and every time she coughed you really expected to see her toenails coming out her mouth........I know, gross - but true. I called the doctor's office at 8am and got her the first available appt. - for 1:30. Great. That meant I had to pick up Zachary early from school - always a joy and pleasure when he has to miss music or art - and take him with me to Katie's doctor visit - double great. It took 20 minutes to just get called back to a room - very unusual - and then another good 15 minutes before the pediatrician came in. So by the time we left, it was a good thing I picked Zachary up from school early or he'd have been cooling his heels at school for a good 30+ minutes. Anyway, I digress. So the doc took a look at Katie and said her infection looks to have cleared but..........and you always have to love it when a doc says "but"..........it's caused her asthma to flare up pretty good and that's the cough that we are hearing. This normally wouldn't be that big of a deal except that Katie's been blessed with ears that stick to her head, instead of sticking out like the doors to a taxi cab. So? you say. Well, the nebulizer mask has an elastic band that fits around their head and over the tops of the ears to hold the mask securely to the face. Her poor little ears are so close to her head that they won't hold up the mask and actually fold in half under the strain! It's really funny to see - but she gets so frustrated with the whole thing that it then becomes a battle every time we say she has to do a mask. And for the next week it will be at least 4-5 times a day.........ugh, I can hear the fits already. And the "Barney's Super-Singing Circus" doesn't completely engross her like it does (or did) with Zachary. She's a girl - I should be able to bribe her with some chocolate..........hmmmmm, teaching her while she's young that chocolate solves lots of problems!!! LOL!!!

No comments: